Joseph E. Fournier, JD, MHA, serves as Vice Chairman and President for InveniasPartners. He is responsible for making IneveniasPartners the executive search and talent advisory firm of choice for progressive, people-focused and forward-thinking healthcare organizations across the nation. During a distinguished career at leading healthcare systems, Joe focused on operating and transforming large and complex organizations with an eye toward leading transformation, developing exceptional leaders and workforce planning to provide safe, affordable, outstanding service to patients, customers and communities. Prior to becoming a nationally recognized leader in human resources, he was an accomplished attorney and U.S. Air Force officer.
Most recently, Joe served as Senior Vice President and Chief People Officer at Intermountain Healthcare, where he nurtured an environment where patients, families, and caregivers couldn't imagine receiving care or working anywhere else. Joe had accountability for human resources, continuous improvement, caregiver communications, the Intermountain Healthcare Leadership Institute, LiVeWell, the Office of Physician and Advanced Practice Clinician Affairs, and Intermountain's planning, research and transformation teams. He regularly interacted with the Board of Trustees as advisor to the executive compensation and talent and physician compensation committees.
Before joining Intermountain, Joe held senior human resources posts in academic medicine including Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) for the University of Michigan Health System, Vice President and Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) for UMass Memorial Medical Center and UMass Memorial Medical Group, and senior human resources officer for UMass Memorial Health Care in Worcester, Massachusetts. Earlier he held positions as in-house counsel for UMass Memorial Health Care, as general counsel for the Air Force Medical Service, one of the nation's largest integrated healthcare delivery systems, and as a military prosecutor.
Joe holds a law degree from Suffolk University Law School, a master's degree in healthcare administration from Worcester State University and a bachelor's degree in finance from Providence College.
A frequent commentator on issues related to business transformation, STEM careers, and workforce readiness, Joe is a Trustee of Westminster College and an Advisory Board Member for the economic empowerment initiative within Key Bank's Corporate and Commercial Group. He also serves on the Advisory Board for emerging blockchain technology company ATLAS (www.atlasid.com) and on the Strategic Advisory Board for WHEN (www.findyourwhen.com), a provider of corporate wellness services to address employee physical, financial, and emotional well-being.
- The Path to Well-being Starts with Belonging
- Welcoming the Chief Well-being Officer
- The CHRO of the Past, Present and Yet to Come
- The Gift of Total Wellbeing: An Emerging Leadership Competency
- The Contemporary Chief Learning Officer: A Conversation with Sue Lawler
- The CHRO as CIO (Chief Innovation Officer)
- Innovation, Investment and Improving Healthcare: People Powered Partnerships
- Culture Spotlight: Healthy People, Wellness and Innovation
- A Culture of Wellness and Innovation
- Destination Innovation
- The Talent Blueprint Through a Digital Lens
- 2019 - A Renewed Commitment to Talent—Transformative Leaders Needed
- Transformative Leaders: Every organization wants them, or do they?
- The Business of Culture and Engagement (Part 2): Four Simple Principles
- The Business of Culture and Engagement (Part 1): The Smell of the Place
- People Strategy through the Lens of Continuous Improvement
- Guiding Principles for a People Strategy
- Put People Strategy at the Top of Your Leadership Agenda